Monday, October 3, 2011

The Matter of Macchiato

Apart from my espresso, when I am in the mood, I love a good Macchiato.

In my humble opinion, I would therefore like to vote for an attempt to keep a standard on them as much as possible. That is not to say I do not mind a bit of creativity, in its right place; however.

I have had many discussions about what defines an Espresso. Each of those defining characteristics (e.g. 30ml poured in 25-30 sec) means that it will taste just so. This means that if every cafe in the land ground their beans just so their pour lasted between 25-30sec, there is a very good chance I would get a close to ideal Espresso everywhere.

Why would I not like just the same for my Macchiato?

To quote:

'Macchiato (Short), or Caffé Macchiato served in a glass (70-90ml). An espresso stained with a dollop of foam and/or dash of hot or cold milk; a 5mm thick crema.'

Definitions may differ, but everywhere I went in Italy for coffee and ordered macchiato, I was always asked if I wanted hot or cold milk - so it seems the European understanding allows for hot or cold.

So what's your opinion on this matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment